Tata Motors unveils Tiago.ev - India's most affordable electric vehicle
India's leading automobile manufacturer and first-mover in the EV manufacturing space, Tata Motors on Wednesday (Sept. 18) launched its first-ever EV in the hatchback segment, the Tiago.ev at an introductory price of INR 8.49 lakh (All India Ex-showroom).
The booking for Tiago.ev will open on Oct. 10, 2022, and the introductory special offer of INR 8.49 lakh will exclusively apply to the first 10,000 customers (of which 2000 will be reserved for the current owners of Nexon EV and Tigor EV).
"Having pioneered the EV market in India, we have successfully led its growth and penetration over the last couple of years. We believe 'now' is the right time to fast forward the ongoing revolution towards the future of mobility by introducing vehicles that will encourage rapid adoption of EVs. With the launch of the Tiago.ev, India's first electric hatchback, the nation can take a giant leap forward in the quest for safe, clean and green mobility," said Shailesh Chandra, Managing Director, Tata Motors Passenger Vehicles Ltd., and Tata Passenger Electric Mobility Ltd.
"Furthermore, with an aim to make our EVs more accessible, with this launch, we are entering 80 new cities, expanding our network to more than 165 cities."
The electric hatchback battery and motor come with 8 year or 160,000 kms warranty.
The Tiago.ev offers two options of battery packs:
- A 24kWh battery pack, delivering a Modified Indian Driving Cycle (MIDC) range of 315km for longer daily travel needs, and
- A 19.2kWh battery pack for short and frequent trips, delivering an estimated MIDC range of 250km.
It also comes with four different charging solutions:
- A 15A plug point for anywhere, anytime charging
- A standard 3.3kW AC charger
- A 7.2kW AC home fast charger which can add 35kms range with just 30min of charging. It also aids full charging of the vehicle (from 10% – 100%) in 3 hr 36 mins
- DC fast charging which can add 110kms of range with just 30mins of charging and can charge 10%- 80% in just 57 mins
Like the Tata Nexon EV, the Tiago.ev will be powered by Tata Motor's Ziptron Technology. The Ziptron EV architecture is Tata's in-house designed, competitive high voltage architecture made for unique Indian driving and weather conditions.
Tata Motors is currently leading the electric vehicle revolution in India and commands a market share of 89% (YTD FY'23) with more than 45,000 Tata EVs on roads both in the personal and fleet segments.
The company plans to offer more choices to customers with a portfolio of 10 EVs by 2026.
Tata Motors is also closely working with other Tata Group companies including Tata Power, Tata Chemicals, Tata Auto Components, Tata Motors Finance and Croma, to contribute to the faster adoption of EVs in India through its EV ecosystem called the 'Tata uniEVerse'.